Posted on 1st Nov 2018
It can be stressful to know what to pack for your baby’s birth, especially for first-time mums. You feel like you need so much… but you don’t want to haul a luggage full of unnecessary stuff! There are plenty of lists out there on what to pack, (but I find they're American and things are a little different here in Australia.) Also I'm lazy. I don't want to be bringing stuff I don't need. I want to be able to focus on the baby and just chill. So here's my list of unexpected items you might have forgotten about.
7 things you DIDN’T think to pack for your hospital bag
1. Phone Charger - Who can't live without their iphone and ipad? I found it really useful to use a white sound app and a feeding app on my phone so a charger was a must have!
2. Hair Ties and Headbands - When it comes to delivery or breastfeeding, etc, it really helps to keep the hair out of your face. And saves on washing your hair, if you have zero energy to do so.
3. Dark Track Pants - Don't be a hero. Wear dark bottoms so you don't have to worry about leaking and stains. Enough said.
4. Pretty Dressing Gown - The laziness factor is high with me. I wore a nursing singlet and covered up with a nice dressing gown when I had visitors.
5. Baby Book & Ink Pad - If you want to ink your baby’s foot or store away their hospital bracelet for a keepsake, bring your baby book with you so you don’t forget! Again, I'm lazy so better to get these things done while you're in the hospital.
6. Feeding Pillow - You'll be feeding baby a lot. Save your arms with a nursing pillow so you can snuggle and feed baby without having to support bubs with my arms.
7. Dry Shampoo - You don’t want to be looking like a grease ball in photos and I wasn't ready to add too much water to my tender bits so soon after labour. Pack it.
What You don’t need :
Extra Socks for Baby - Just use onesies with feet on it. I don't understand why you would bother with socks with newborns. They are guaranteed to be kicked off or lost in the wash within a week.
Entire Makeup Bag– I basically needed my tinted lip balm, moisturizer, blush and under eye concealer. Anything more was beyond my energy level. Don't bring mascara. You will cry unexpectedly...it's called hormones. You don't need to worry about racoon eyes.
Nursing Tops – You know those nursing wear that has the slits for breastfeeding. The slits don't open wide enough for a first-time mum for baby to nurse. As a newbie mum trying to get the hang of breastfeeding, and (bubs is also learning too) it too hard to focus on baby latching and properly holding baby to worry about those slits opening. I found it easier to just wear a nursing bra with my robe. Save those stylish nursing tops for when you and baby are both comfortable with the feeding gig.
Socks - I don't know why all these checklists tell you to bring socks to hospital but from my limited experiences, maternity wards are hot! Just bring your thongs! Perfect for walking around the ward and wearing into the shower.
Choosing nappy sizes can be a confusing time for new parents. As nappy sizes vary according to the baby's weight, these are only a guide to help start you off on the right path.Even if the weight matches, you may need to choose a smaller or larger nappy size, depending on your baby's height, waist [...]
When we were travelling in Japan, we had to try their most popular nappy brand Merries. After using them on both kids, we haven't looked back! They are soooo soft and breathable! As my eldest has eczema and sensitive skin, we have always been careful as certain nappy brands irritated her skin. We used the [...]
I am so excited to be stocking the Aroma Bloom & Elm Cool Mist Ultrasonic Vaporisers as well as the Lively Living Organic Essential Oils. Since my daughter has eczema that can flare up with certain chemicals, I started looking at more natural, non-toxic ways I can change how our household lives. The reason I have chosen the Aroma Diffusers by Lively [...]
I'm so excited that Hape has arrived to Peekaboo BabyChildren love playing with toy trains and railways and our Peekaboo Baby range of Hape toddler railway toys are sure to offer new and exciting ways for toddlers to learn through play. Hape's colourful and wooden train setsHape trains are suitable for play with an endless [...]
Jump for Joy Peeps! Skip Hop has pimped up the ol’ baby jumper like you’ve never seen before! Meet the Skip Hop Explore & More Jumpscape Foldaway Jumper! Featuring so many functions, it'll be making you and bubs smile from ear to ear! There's a cute cloud light counter that track of baby’s progress, 4 extra clip-on, [...]
Where did the year go??! Suddenly November is almost over and the mad panic of Christmas shopping starts (or has started already.)I have put together a few ideas for every budgetWe have the new arrival from aden+anais with their gorgeous metallic range for baby - Available in silver and gold. These would make lovely unisex [...]
I don’t know who invented the phrase “to sleep like a baby”, but it definitely wasn’t a person with an actual baby. So to new mums: you are NOT alone. Did you know that, according to studies, the term ‘sleeping through’ is just five hours in a row? Regular night waking is simply a biological survival [...]
'My 8 month old has been teething for 2 months and we have been going through rusk sticks like anything. Since they are pretty tasteless, my little one is slowly losing interest in them and throwing them on the floor. So I thought I'll try and be all Susie Homemaker and make my own. In the [...]
They say you don't know busy until you have a baby. They say you don't know crazy busy until you have two kids and that's what I decided to do plus start Peekaboo Baby on the side (e.g. between sleeping babies.) So I'm big on finding activities that keep my 25 month old busy that [...]