Posted by on 27th Jun 2017
They say you don't know busy until you have a baby. They say you don't know crazy busy until you have two kids and that's what I decided to do plus start Peekaboo Baby on the side (e.g. between sleeping babies.) So I'm big on finding activities that keep my 25 month old busy that doesn't require me to turn on the tv or iPad (again, nothing wrong with that, but I save it for dinner prep time.)
So I have discovered COLOURED RICE, and it has rocked my toddler's world. So I thought I would share the love and the tips I have to keep things as non-messy as possible.
Coloured rice is a super versatile sensory play material and can simply be stored in a ziplock bag for years and years without going bad. The way I made my coloured rice was so easy! I was done in 2 minutes.
1. Put rice in a ziplock bag.
2. Put paint or food colouring into the bag and shake till rice is the colour intensity you like.
I totally preferred the results from the paint than food colouring though the texture of the rice is less smooth than food colouring
3. Spread rice out on a tray (I covered it with cling wrap first) to dry for about an hour.
1. Pretend Play - I placed my coloured rice with my toddler's cooking toys, and she went to town scooping, stirring & "cooking' her rice. She played with this for over 30 minutes which is forever in toddler time.
2. Puzzle Hiding - I hid her puzzle pieces in a bucket of coloured rice, and my toddler loved this extra level of fun with her jigsaw solving.
3. Colour Learning - I wanted to help my toddler learn her colours, so I created a colour themed bin with coloured rice. I started with pink as she confused it with red, so I made some pink rice and put all these shades of pink objects inside a bin. I also liked showing her the different shades pink can be.
TIP to Keep Things as Non Messy as Possible
Use a cloth play mat underneath
I found a slippery playmat (like those splat mats) made the rice roll around too much and caused more mess
Use inside a giant container bucket instead
Don't stress about the mess - I have to vacuum every night anyways!
Peekaboo Baby is delighted to introduce Jellycat's latest cutie, Odell the Octopus! This plush toy octopus is actually really nice to hug, as tested out with my lil toddler. It's nice and squishy, with the softest of soft fur as all Bashful Jellycats are known for. I love the muted pink colour which goes nicely with any decor. [...]
Peekaboo Baby is sooo proud that we stock so many winners of the latest Mother & Baby Awards UK 2017. These awards are an annual editorial special that recognises the best baby buys in a super-competitive business. More than 1,000 mums rigorously test each and every product. Only the best baby and pregnancy products gets awarded an Mother & [...]
A baby shower is a fun way of marking one of the most exciting milestones in life: motherhood to a new child. Planning a shower, however, can be a little stressful if you’ve never done it before. Luckily, we can help. Here’s our expert answers to some of your questions. This edition: baby shower [...]
Coming Soon To Peekaboo Baby...We are sooo excited to be stocking the beautiful aden & anais range of metallic & shibori range. Made from the softest cotton and bamboo, these luxurious baby muslin cloth are both breathable and warm. With the cooler weather approaching, we have their dream blankets, perfect for little ones. Not just [...]
Need some inspiration for loved mums, bubs & kids this Christmas? Us parents at PeekabooBaby have put together a list of our Top 10 hottest and popular items that would make great pressies for all. Bonus, all products are under $75.1. 3 Sprouts Stroller Organiser : Blue WhaleEvery parent needs to have their essentials at hand while out [...]
A great days begins with a perfectly packed diaper bag. So what do you need for your diaper bag? it depends on how many child, how long are you planning to be be out and about and how old is your toddler.The Essentials The Bag Start with a bag you adoreWater Bottle Make sure you have your own water [...]